A treat that's good for your eyes? Sweet!
How often do you hear that a dessert is good for you?
Next to never.
This down-home cobbler isn't sin-free, but it is overflowing with the one ingredient that you never need to skimp on–berries.
Colorful, juicy, and sweet, berries are low in calories and sugar but high in fiber. That's three awesome health benefits to check off.
But those aren't the only traits that make berries a superfood all-star. The same compound–called anthocyanin–that gives strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries their brilliant colors also fights inflammation in our bodies.
That's good news for your eyes, since unchecked inflammation plays a role in many diseases that can steal your vision as you get older, including age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. Berries also boast higher amounts of other disease-fighting antioxidants, like vitamin C, than most other fruits.
Enough about how good this cobbler is for you. Let's talk about how each bite is just so good to savor. The whole-grain biscuits are crispy on the outside, creamy and tangy on the inside–the perfect complement to the tart and sweet fruit.
Dessert should always be this good.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with nonstick baking spray.
- Make the filling: Combine the blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a mixing bowl and stir well. Pour the mixture into the prepared skillet.
- Make the topping: Combine the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, and canola oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using a large spoon, drop portions of the biscuit topping, spaced apart, over the berries, (the topping will expand as it bakes).
- Place the skillet on a baking sheet and bake until the biscuits are cooked through and slightly brown, about 35 minutes.
Schedule Your FREE Eye Exam Today!
Quality eye care doesn't have to be expensive! The mission of America's Best is to provide the best eye care at the most affordable prices in America. Our 600 locations are staffed by professional optometrists and equipped with state-of-the-art technology. Click here to schedule your free eye exam.
Calories: 261 Fat: 8.1g Saturated fat: .9g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 128mg Carbs: 45g Protein: 4.3g
2 cups of blueberries
2 cups of strawberries, halved
2 cups of raspberries
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of cornstarch